To imagine myself living in another time has always been an inspiration in my artwork. I look at an ancient artwork and wonder: What inspired the artist to create this piece in this certain way? This series of work is my interpretation of artistic time travel of living in ancient cultures that still speak to me, of creating through their forms, styles, and techniques.
Most of my expertise in recreating and using ancient ceramic techniques comes from personal experimentation. I like to put myself into the state of mind of someone who faces only a lump of clay, simple tools, and a pile of sticks and leaves for firing. Who am I, what do I feel, what do I need, what is possible?
With ancient art as my reference, I'm making a visual journal and journey, inhabiting past times and cultures, living and wearing the art of many different women.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment