Flying Dreams

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ceramic Sculpture Illuminations Mind & Spirit

If you've seen my work before this, you will have probably guessed that I love art history and am really addicted to museum antiquities and ancient art work in general.

Being that most of the vacations I've had in my life have been to see ancient art, study primitive ceramic methods and take workshops about low-fire ceramics, you might have also guessed that these pieces are all made of earthenware clays, with polished and smokefired finishes, just like many ancient potters would have made them.

Illuminations Mind and Spirit is an exhibition I did with my good artist-potter friend, Mark Fletcher, in Maryland for the "Tour de Clay," at the NCECA conference in 2005. The concept came from an earlier show I did with Yvonne Tucker at LeMoyne Art Foundation in 2001 called "Illuminations" that involved spirituality and light.

For the work I did for this show I wanted it to be about women artist and other women who have illuminated my life. Mainly because the conference was in March, which is national women in history month and because I wanted to dialoge about women artists in general. Some of these women influenced me very personally like the piece called "Radiant Sister"and others through their great humanitarian work or brilliant creativity.

The busts and sculpted heads are not ment to be portraits but the forms and designs of each one represents what I feel are metaphors that describe each ones personality or valuable work.

Of this group, four of them are what I call "head lamps" and have been electrified.


No comments: